Secondary Highway

Life off of the freeway, taking in the scenery.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weekend in Review

The past week I haven't really been feeling well. Just kind of on-going overtired and minor sinus stuff which means lots of headaches. Whee! Spent one night after work going through supplies and Mr. T got this lovely shot of me trying to keep warm while re-winding half used skeins of yarn. Very unfortunate hair that night.

A second item sold from my Etsy Shop yesterday which was fabulous. Very exciting. This should be pushing me to produce more stock, but after processing the order in the morning, and going to the post office to send stuff out, I had to go up to Fredonia to deplete the town of its electrical supply by setting up my parent's Christmas tree which has somewhere around 5,000 strings of lights on it. The ambient temperature of the room goes up about 10 degrees when they plug that sucker in. This is a long standing tradition in our family, my mother's obsession with having a well lit tree. Every branch gets wrapped with one string each of white and colored lights. Mercifully it's a fake tree, the kind that kind of folds open which makes this process much easier and only leaves my arms minorly raw from the scraping of plastic pine needles.

We dined on sloppy joes and potato salad since my mom has been feeling ill as well. This run of chemo isn't agreeing with her, and she was recovering from a day of dry heaves. She was able to eat a little bit which was good. I think she got a spot of food poisoning from turkey leftovers. Her immune system is compromised, so any little bit of bacteria will wreak havoc on her system, you know, because I'm a trained doctor and can diagnose things like that.

After getting toasty in front of the blazing hot tree, I headed off in the middle of a snowstorm to go to a work-related party. This annual piss-up is an "Appreciation" party for one of our clients. The turn out was much smaller than previous years, probably due to the road conditions that in most places required a brave driver and/or snow tires. Fortunately for me and my tiny rear wheel drive convertible, I have both. The drinking was kept at a reasonable level and the innapropriateness was manageable. Nothing too terrible. I did get a vodka tonic dumped on me at the end of the night when I tried tackling one of my bosses because he stole the small toy rubber chicken I'd shoved in my coworker's cleavage. (She'd pulled it out herself, he didn't go diving in for it.)

There was an inexplicable coin operated vending machine with monkey stickers and rubber chickens in it at the bar where the party was being held. The surrealness of this scene just barely beat out the discovery of a whole pig being roasted on a spit out back, and my later consumption of a small piece of it, and immediately regretting it. Just can't eat something that has a face. Can't do it without regret. Not a vegetarian mind you, but if there's a face on it when served, no go.

Woke up this morning with a headache that wouldn't go away. Spent most of the day just hanging around the house. Packaged up an order, watched a bunch of crappy movies that I've already seen a bunch of times. Nice to not do much of anything, and my goal tonight is to go to bed before midnight. I'd been hoping to make something with the beautiful selection of beads I picked up Friday night but then got all wrapped up in finishing something I've been crocheting while watching Grey's Anatomy and realized it was getting late.

So here we come full circle to why I haven't made much of anything this weekend. I'll also blame a lot of it on the arctic temperature in my workspace. So cold, the bottoms of my feet hurt from the floor/permafrost layer. Maybe tomorrow night I'll make sure to turn the space heater on as soon as I get home from work. It just sucks to shiver all day at work, and then come home to more cold. Not good for productivity at all. Maybe have to look into getting some timers. One for the space heater, and another for the espresso machine so that it starts heating up before I get out of bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home