Secondary Highway

Life off of the freeway, taking in the scenery.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Living Room Doubles as Campground

On an impulse, when I thought Beth and I were going to Burning Man, I bought a tent and sleeping bag. We're not going on account of last minute planning and lack of funding. On the suggestion of a couple coworkers, I decided to camp in my new apartment last night since I've been having trouble sleeping at T's place anyway.

After burning on the beach and then going out for a couple drinks, (being single is really hard on my liver, not to mention my lungs since I've started smoking again) I went to the new place to set up my tent in the living room, in front of the fake fireplace. Well, it turns out that the little, cheap, lightweight, backpacker's tent I'd purchased needs to be staked out in order to stand up, which made it totally useless on hardwood floors. (I'm sure the landlord would not appreciate me staking into the floor.) I didn't want to set it up outside because I don't know my neighbors and the neighborhood is on the border of sketchy areas, so I skipped the tent, and slept under the vast "sky" of coved ceiling and beautiful woodwork instead.

Decided to keep the stuff set up so that I can do it again if I don't get my bed moved this weekend since I've been crashing at friend's places here and there and don't like to impose.

Staying true to actual camping, my planning involved a change of clothes and a pillow, but completely forgot about towels and a toothbrush, so today, I steeenk. As for the tent, that stupid thing is being returned. What good is a tent if you can't set it up in your living room? I mean, c'mon.

3 Comments:

Blogger snoutbeagle said...

Ugh ... I hate it when she calls me a coworker. :P

3:03 PM  
Blogger 2ndaryHighway said...

pppppfffffft!
Ok, former bestest girlfriend!!
(I got usurped for a dog and husband, which is totally cool - not bitter, no I'm serious!)

12:36 PM  
Blogger snoutbeagle said...

xoxo

I understand my new title completely (the addition of the word former). I think about it sometimes and it sucks. Not always thrilled about the trade-off of beagle and husband vs. the time we (don't) spend together these days, but, God, I still love you!

Despite it all, I can't imagine I'm demoted all the way back down to a lowly co-worker. :P

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home