Secondary Highway

Life off of the freeway, taking in the scenery.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Recluse Breaks Free

I've been trying to finish this posting for a while - too distracted.

For the first time in a while, the social calendar was quite full this weekend. Turns out I actually like people.

Friday night started out on a, um, stupid note. It wasn't terrible, just dumb - I ran out of gas on the way to my soccer game. The indicator light was on, I knew I needed gas, but I was running late and thought I had just enough to get there. Nope. About 5 miles short as my Friday the 13th bad luck would have it.

Mr. T and the Kid came to my rescue with 5 gallons of premium. He seemed mildly annoyed and when I appologized he responded with the ire raising "well, it's to be expected, you're just a girl and all" (said in jest) and I replied that if he weren't saving my ass at that moment, I'd be beating his.

The game was ok, I started coughing up a lung so I guess the gunk isn't entirely out yet from being sick a few weeks back. The stale locker room scented air in the soccer arena doesn't help much for clearing out the bronchial tubes either. We all went out for drinks afterwards which I haven't done in a while after a game.

Saturday we headed down to Chicago for a benefit show for the three Chicago musicians that were killed last summer by a stupid person. It was an odd and bittersweet thing. Since I didn't know any of the guys (Mr. T had worked with two bands one of the guys had been in) I felt a little dislocated, but it's still a sad and eerie thing to think that there were people missing from the stage, who weren't alive anymore.

We met a member of the Electrical Audio messageboards and her friend, and ended up getting late dinner with them. Definitely a bright spot to the evening 'cos she rocks.

The next moring we were off to St. Charles to have brunch with a bunch of Hawklist people who make your face hurt from laughing the minute you walk into the room. Bunch of crazy people I tell you, and you wouldn't think it from looking at them. Shooting squirrels in the garage with pellet guns and whatnot. Oy vey.

Finally, after that and a few shopping stops, we went to a friend's place for a Hungarian Paprikash party - and it was delicious. Was sad to learn that they are not going to move to Milwaukee, but Minneapolis instead - because I really like them, and it would have been nice to have them here, but I guess I just have to make it up to Minneapolis more often. A hangover left me pretty out of it, and Mr. T's allergies in a house with three dogs and two cats was getting the best of him and so we left a little early. It was really cool hanging out with a totally new group of people and getting to know them. That should happen more often. That means I have to leave the house more I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home