Secondary Highway

Life off of the freeway, taking in the scenery.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

City Services Defining Socioeconomic Status

Or... They ain't got no salt in the ghetto.

Every time there's a heavy snow here in the Mil, I'm more than happy to drive around in it. Rear wheel drive + Snow tires + Four or more inches of snow = Most fun ever.

It's pretty crappy out today, sleet, at least four inches of wet, heavy snow and now it's sleeting again. The co-op was my lunchtime destination which takes me through a couple different neighborhoods between the store and work.

The office is in an out of the way light industrial park, and the minor road to get there hadn't been plowed yet, but as I got closer to main thoroughfares, it got progressively slushier, wetter, and less snowy. This is probably due to the literal tons of pre-emptive salt that's been thrown down all winter. Basically, the roads were pretty good - until I crossed from one municipality (wealthy) into the next (poor) where the road was a sheet of ice. Seriously - ice with few strips of snow. It wasn't a gradual change, no, it was a distinct line, and where the ice had sort of broken up it was like driving on really slippery gravel roads.

I would say that this was really appalling, until I got to the co-op, where I spend twice as much on groceries than at a regular chain store, and they hadn't bothered to do squat with their parking lot. Again, a sheet of ice. You'd think that with everyone spending $10 on three bananas, they could at least afford to sprinkle some organic cat litter around.

By the time I got back to the office, after crossing the line into the nicer suburb, all of the roads leading back to the office were plowed. Not just one little strip - but fully plowed side to side.

This was even more frustrating not because I could no longer do doughnuts in the middle of the road, but because I was trying to figure out how one city could be so efficient as to have all their roads clear, when another couldn't even get a main artery safe to drive on. What about public safety? What if someone needed an ambulance? I guess all those poor people will just have to wait a little longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home