Secondary Highway

Life off of the freeway, taking in the scenery.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

2000 Miles - Part One

This weekend is the annual voyage to Suches, GA. We're currently at a friend's house in Cleveland, OH waiting for other members of our group to catch up from a late start. Last night my friend Richard and I rode about 420 miles from Milwaukee in wind and clouds. I hate wind. I think I hate wind more than rain, and I really hate rain. With about 150 miles to go, swerving back in forth in the lane trying to keep the bike going straight instead of sideways, I decided that this long distance riding thing is a bunch of hooey. Gimme track days and dirt trails and the long distance stuff can be covered by trailering to the good roads.

We have 703 miles to go, not all of it today, but probably more than half of it. Hopefully we can leave soon as the more time we sit around Jay's house, the less time we have doing the fun roads in Georgia and North Carolina.

We've been washing bikes and eating chocolate chip pancakes to pass time.

We'll be meeting Wally somewhere along the way, then Richard will split off to go to Charlotte, and Wally, Jay and I will go the rest of the way to Suches and T.W.O. where we'll meet up with Richard's wife and sister, Keener and Babs, Ihab, Ross, and T. (Hopefully I'm not leaving anybody out, not that anyone on the Lunatic Fringe list ever reads this blog, heh)

I'll be sad to have to give up Richard's sister's '96 Ducati Monster 900, which is what I'm riding. Once the money tree sprouts I'll have to start looking for one.

Wheeee... doubt I'll get to add to this before I get back, but thought since there was time it'd be good to get this down now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home